Bathroom Etiquette
Now, I've had a sufficient number of discussions to realize that the rules are different for men and women. But I just need to vent a few pet peeves of mine when it comes to bathroom etiquette at work.
1. If we start a conversation going into the bathroom, it needs to stop when you go into a stall. I CANNOT talk to you while you're on the pot. I also cannot even walk into the stall if you are talking to me. Just stop talking and wait until we're at the sinks.
2. Bathroom stalls should be like elevator rides, i.e. let's give people some room. If I'm in stall #1 and all the other stalls or open, go use #3 or #4. Why are you "cuddling" up next to me in stall #2? The middle stalls should only be used out of necessity, people!
3. I can't say this one any better than this guy: http://philalawyer.blogspot.com/2005/03/newspaper-guys.html

4 Comments:
when it comes to stall selection, do people really not follow the "buffer zone" theory? i would never EVER go into a stall next to an occupied stall unless there was no other stall available...you need to give people some distance to, you know, do their thing. blech.
i know - i don't get it. it's almost as if people have their "preferred stall" and if it's available, they have to use that one no matter what.
i hate people.
Perfect timing for me to share this email sent to me. I'm sure it'll take all of 3 seconds to guess who wrote it:
_______________________________
men and women are very different. Here is why:
(1) men do not chat in the bathroom. you might exchange pleasantries while peeing or washing one's hands, but it is not usual to linger. That is because bathrooms aren't all that pleasant. Do you have couches and roses in there, or what?
(2) pooping takes precedence over conversation. you can talk anywhere, but you can only poop in a bathroom stall. Therefore I would never worry about interrupting someone's bathroom conversation by making a big log.
(3) you cannot defile a bathroom by pooping there. The bathroom's purpose is to receive your poop. This ties in with both (1) and (2). You wouldn't want to talk there, for the very reason that it is a pooping place.
This leads me to wonder: do women need a secondary pooping place that is not the bathroom? Everyone needs a place where it is acceptable to poo at any time. Otherwise you get impacted. If the bathroom is no longer that place for women, because it has taken on too many other purposes, perhaps what you need is a pooping room.
thoughts?
well actually, the answer to ettenel's first e-mailed question is "yes," sometimes there are couches and roses in there, but the pooping is done in a different area. the area with the couches is called a "lounge" and sometimes there are vanity tables and mirrors, complementary lotion, tissues, hairspray etc. as well as roses...so in fact there is a dedicated pooping area different from the conversation area--as it should be!
Post a Comment
<< Home