Vignettes
"In Bitch We Trust"
Let's just say that evidence that the people who live in our building are bitchy piles on. A sign about an upcoming fire drill was posted in the elevator. Residents in the building took the opportunity to use said sign as a bulletin board to tell people to move their bikes out of the fourth floor hallway. And yet, these same people are oddly trusting. Packages remain all over the lobby floor. Clothes are left in the hallway (no, we still don't know what happened to the black dress). Laptops are left for the taking in our lobby, too. Bitchy, but trusting. These people are so weird.
Narf
Yesterday, Mr. Sunshine and I made masterly plans to escape our bondage and enjoy the 74-degree weather by going shopping at 3:00 in the afternoon. It was his idea, and honestly, I got the feeling that he didn't think there was a chance in hell I was going to go for it. We all know that I am not a rule-breaker/risk-taker/boat-shaker (yes, I know it's "rock the boat," but that wouldn't have rhymed!). After a short pause, I agreed. I just want the record to reflect that in the end, he was the one who wussed out, not I! I would have totally gone. How often is it 74-degrees in November...in Chicago????
I Love Vienna
The singer, not the city. (Although I'm sure that if I ever get the chance to visit the city, I will like it, too.) Roomie, voxqueror, and a couple of my other friends went to hear Vienna Teng sing. If she's ever in your city, go for a listen. In the meantime, you can check out her music out at www.viennateng.com. Some good songs for newbies: "Gravity" and "Harbor." She tried out a few new songs for us, and I can't wait until her next CD comes out.
"We Live Together...But Not Like That."
I was in the elevator in the Daley Center yesterday with a second-year associate. My firm has this "on-call" system where first-year associates, after they're sworn in, are assigned a day to cover all the court calls for the firm. We're a back-up system such that if someone can't make a status hearing, they call whoever's assigned for the day to go instead. So, since I'll be doing this in a month, I went with one of the second-years to see what the heck it'd be like. While we're in the elevator, we're chatting about weekend plans, and I mention that my roommate and I are throwing a party.
Nice 2nd Year: Did she go to law school, too?
Malek: Well, she's a he, but yes, he went to law school.
Nice 2nd Year: Oh. So, you two met in law school and - (I could see where this was going.)
Malek: Yeah, we were friends throughout law school, and we just thought it'd be a good way to save some money before we each bought a place.
Uncomfortable. Nice 2nd Year lives in my neighborhood, and although she's married and with child, she really is pretty young, so I don't think I got any judgment there. But the elevator was packed with middle-aged to older men. A) I felt like a kid and B) I knew I was one of those people they referred to as living a scandalously alternative lifestyle. I felt so judged. Mental note to self: no talking about the personal life in the elevator on the way to/from court.
That's All Folks!
I've got a party to throw this weekend! It should be interesting since both Roomie's and my worlds will be colliding into each other. Rapunzel and ReadyMcReady will also be in attendance - yay! Have a good weekend, ya'll, and if you have a minute, give me a call. Some of you out there are too good at maintaining cellular silence.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home