Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Brrrrrrr....

I am a non-native Chicagoan. When I first arrived for college, I was wholly unprepared for the bitter cold, snow, and that infamous Chicago wind. Needless to say, my first winter here was definitely educational. Like many other college students, I spent over half my time walking, so I was in for a particular nasty surprise when winter arrived. Where I grew up, half an inch of snow on the ground is a Snow Day and all classes are automatically cancelled. Not so in Chicago. It didn't take me long to figure out the essentials: scarf, gloves, hat, good boots, and when it's really, really cold - longjohns.

I haven't worn my long underwear in a really really long time. I considered pitching them during my most recent move. I thought that after living here for ten years, I'd become immune to the bitter cold here. Uh...riiiiiiight. I believe my self-delusion was due, in part, to the fact that, until very recently, my commute did not require me to spend much time outside. Now, I easily trek several blocks every day and have to wait for the bus. These circumstances change one's tolerance for cold and one's need for long underwear.

Today I had my scarf, gloves, hat, and boots all on in full winter glory. The undershirt + turtleneck was even put into action - another combo I have not used in a long time. But no longjohns, and sure enough, by block 8, my legs were numb and my eyelashes and my scarf were encrusted with ice crystals from my breath. Remember how your thighs would burn from thawing out after being numb? Ah, the joys of winter in Chicago!

Now, why am I living in this city again? I think it's time for a vacation to a warmer climate....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home